Glossary Sept 4, 2004 15:27:21 GMT -5
Post by EK - Shadow of Death on Sept 4, 2004 15:27:21 GMT -5
Welcome to New Galat game terminology:
- Cloudboat - A large, skiff-like vessel used in low-atmosphere transport. Cloudboats do not contain an engine, but use opposing magnetic fields in order to stay in the air. They are notoriously unmanueverable, though very fast.
- Holopoly - A staple of the Vestran materials industry. Holopoly is a soft compound that shapes itself to the form of whatever object is placed upon it, modified by a resistance property. Holopoly is used in chairs, as packing material, and in work gloves and tools, amongst other things.
- Plasteel - A highly durable polymer that has many properties of metal, such as malleability and ductility. Plasteel is difficult to mold and is thus used primarily in building/furniture construction or high-tensile rope.
- PTU (Personal Transport Unit) - The primary means of transportation on Vestra. A single-seat, highly modular vehicle, the PTU uses the Vestran GPS system to navigate. The PTU is very affordable, such that even middle-class children can buy their own, though modifications to it, such as adding cargo capacity, additional seats, or additional engines can increase the price significantly. The PTU can collapse to be small enough to fit through a doorway and light enough to be carried by two people.
- Shock rifle - A 50cm long weapon that fires beams of charged plasma. The standard weapon of the Vestran Civilian Authority Force. The shock rifle is an ambidextrous weapon that can be held in either a normal pistol grip or inverted, so that the barrel is braced against the bottom of the forearm. If used in this way, the shock rifle can be attached to an exoskeleton and can accept most additional modifications, such as a scope (mouted on the butt of the grip), a grenade launcher, or a force field projector. The police version of the shock rifle can be stowed on the exoskeleton in a reversed position (with barrel facing towards the elbow) so that the officer can use both hands. In this position, the officer can opt to activate the rifle's forceblade, which extends one foot from the back of the rifle.
- Teletransport - A method of transportation that involves converting a matter object into energy and sending it to another destination via electromagnetic signals. Teletransport is fast, quiet, and efficient, though it is prohibitively expensive for commercial use. Most teletransport portals cannot be used to transport living matter, causing the matter will reform properly, but dead. Some government portals, however, have special modifications that allow the transport of living matter, such as personell. Teletransport portals take 30 seconds to convert the subject into electromagnetic waves; a process that requires the subject to remain extremely still, and one that causes a burning pain in living subjects. Portals will then use a system of relays to transport the matter and will then recombine the electromagnetic streams at another teletransport portal; a process that takes an additional 30 seconds.